Friday, August 22, 2014

Curly Wurly Bar ... and it's close cousin "The Marathon bar"

In the beginning stage of my candy store, I had no clue about British sweets. Until one fine day, a good customer, Karl, asked me for the Curly Wurly bar. He explained it as a braided caramel delight enrobed in sweet English chocolate from Cadbury in England. He was a fan of all things British and thought it would be a good addition to explore.

The magic word for me was CARAMEL- So the hunt was on. Not being a chocolate aficionado - I had not heard or tried Cadbury sweets, but I was game! Karl gave me a hint on where I might find them, and find them I did...and so began out British candy offerings. Woo-hoo!

The Curly Wurly is as delightful and wonderful as you might imagine. This candy bar resonated with me for another reason. Being a child born in the 1970's, I recalled a chocolate bar similar to the afore mentioned Curly Wurly. I remember it, and so do a bunch of my customers.

Owning a candy store leaves a lot of opportunity to reminisce with people about their favorite sweets from long ago and present day. This usually leads to an inevitable request to find a long lost - but certainly not forgotten - candy that they would kill to find. (I am exaggerating, but only a little bit, really!)

The Marathon bar is one such requested not forgotten items. It was made in 1973 and is very similar to the Curly Wurly which began in 1971. This was my first "FIND" for lost candy recon work.
 
Don't you love this picture! It should bring back some nice memories. And both pictures allow you to  compare candy bars and their shapes.

Unfortunately, along with many things (like lava lamps and bell bottoms) from the 1970's, the Marathon bar is no longer available. I am sorry!

But the Curly Wurly is available! It is not the exact same, since chocolate from Cadbury England is very different from American Chocolate, but it is a good substitute for the Marathon bar.  We share this tip often when asked here at Life is Sweet.  And of course we have it right there on the shelf to try it out!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment